A big thank you to everyone who contributed to MSA to make for a successful Spring Trip!
The MSA medical team wants to give you all a huge thank you! Per our fundraising efforts, we were able to see 1200 patients in the Dominican Republic from March 31st to April 6th! We feel so blessed to have been able to help so many people and been given the opportunity to give back to the most deserving community, Ranch al Medio. The compassionate and selfless nature of all our students, doctors, and first year medical students paved the way for us to experience such a successful and humbling week in the DR! Thank you for making this the best trip!
As we do every year, we set up full-scale working clinics at the local schools and churches in the remote villages. We provide healthcare in ophthalmology, general medicine, pediatrics, OB/GYN, cardiology, orthopedics, dentistry, and dermatology. We also offer life-changing dental restorative surgery, dental fillings, and deep cleanings, thus limiting the number of tooth-extraction procedures.
MSA relies on private donations, which we use to purchase the necessary medications and medical supplies for our patients. In addition, donated pharmaceuticals and vitamins make up for any deficiencies that are not available to us.
MARCH 31 ST - APRIL 7 TH
La Republica Dominicana
Rancho al Medio will be the main site for the 5 clinic days. In the past we have visited several sites, but we feel this area is in urgent need of care this year.
Suggested Packing List
- Passport and photocopy of passport to keep in luggage
- Cash, small bills: we exchange money in the DR for Pesos
- Personal medications
- Snacks, powerbars, peanuts etc….
- Flash light
- Canteen or liter water bottle
- Extra pair of eyeglasses if needed
- Bug repellent with DEET
- Baby wipes
- Hat or hair covering
- Purell hand gel
- Garbage bags for dirty clothes
- Close toed comfortable shoes for working
- Bathing Suit
- Water shoes for bathing in the ocean
- Fanny pack
- Surgical scrub tops and pants (attire at clinic is usually scrub pants with t-shirt - you will want at least 5 pairs of scrub bottoms)
- Sandals for showers and pool
- Jeans and shirts for evening wear
- Pen Light
- Reference books
- Back Pack
Evening attire is very casual during the week → jeans/shorts and t-shirt are appropriate. On the last night we go to dinner at a nicer restaurant in the capital.